John C. Jackson – Studio Artist in Wood
Sculptor, Fine Furniture Designer/Craftsman, Cabinet Maker
- Attended Philadelphia College of Art (PCA), summer session
- Accepted into freshman foundation courses
- Elective in ceramics
1968-69 Sophomore Year
- Sophomore major in crafts and woodworking
- Studied wood working with Dan Jackson and Bob Worth
- Ceramics with Bill Daley
- Jewelry with Olaf Skoogfors
- 3D design with “Pop” Renzetti
- Photography elective
- Co-founded Johnny’s Dance Band with classmates Chris Darway and Paul Messing.
1969-70 Junior Year
- Majored in woodworking and ceramics
- More Johnny’s Dance Band (JDB)
1970-73 – On leave of absence from PCA with JDB
- Renovated a stone barn in Geigertown, PA
- Woodshop monitor at Drexel University, Phila.
- Granted BFA in Crafts/Wood from PCA on the basis of a private kitchen commission installed in Chester County, PA.
- Re-formed Johnny’s Dance Band
- Performed regionally
- Recorded first album on the RCA/Windsong label in 1977
- Left JDB to form Boomer, another Philadelphia band in 1979
- Recorded demos and retired from music until 2002
- Established Jackson Woodworks, Chalfont, PA, Bucks County
- Furniture and cabinetry commissions
- Adjunct faculty teaching wood and ceramics majors at Bucks County Community College, Newtown, PA
- Part time lecturer at Philadelphia College of Art, wood majors and Ceramics electives
- Co-founder of Guild X in Quakertown, PA
- Woodworking shows at a cooperative gallery
- Sculpted (40) one-of-a-kind, hand carved wooden whales
- Relocated shop to Cedarville, Chester County in 1983 and then to West Reading, PA in 1987 to present.
- Entrepreneur promoting “Real Little Whales” a realistic set of six species of whales designed for high volume production as educational toys, injection molded in vinyl and thermoplastic rubber
- Endorsed by Cousteau Society, New England Aquarium, American Cetacean Society, etc.
- Off-shoot included “The Great Whales”, hand painted half-models as display board sculptures
- Programs suspended 1992. Currently for sale.
- Furniture designer/craftsman/cabinetmaker for commercial and private commissions
- Semi-retired Jackson Woodworks
- Revived efforts as singer/songwriter/ producer/recording artist/performer
John C. Jackson’s creations as a studio artist in wood reside in private collections world wide.
Sculpture and furniture commissions always welcomed. Please contact the artist directly.